Oh French toast, how I love thee. I will write a poem for just for you, my love:
Bananas are yellow,
chocolate is brown.
I don’t know where this is going,
I should stop writing now.
But anyway…. My point is microwave mug cakes don’t have to be just for dessert. They have every right to be at the breakfast table too! Think about it, they’re quick and super easy to make. So I have taken the liberty to create a Microwave Chocolate Tropical French Toast in a Mug (I know, I shouldn’t have). This French toast in a mug is a complete breakfast. You’ll be getting fiber from the whole wheat bread, protein from the egg, calcium from the milk, and vitamins from the fruit! (But don’t worry. If you’re freaked about it being healthy, I added chocolate. No worries, bro.)
Start by cracking an egg into a mug and dumping in milk (I used chocolate to make my French toast extra chocolatey, but you don’t have to), cinnamon, and sugar.
Whisk it up until the custard is frothy and thin.
Cube up you’re bread (I used whole wheat bread, but any type of bread is fine) and bananas.
Now it’s time to layer. Start by adding some bread into the mug with the custard, add some banana cubes and chocolate chips (you can also add shredded coconut for extra tropical flair), and keep repeating the layering until you’re out of ingredients. Smoosh down all that bread with a spoon. to make sure the custard coats every little cube (yes, even that cube at the very top).
Pop your mug into the magical box of radiation for 2 minutes and voila! You’re French Toast in a Mug is ready for consumption! (Unless you want to add maple syrup or coconut syrup to make it extra special. I highly suggest that.) So dig in! Yum!
Microwave Chocolate Tropical French Toast in a Mug
- 1 large/extra-large egg
- 1/4 cup fat-free chocolate milk (or regular fat-free milk)
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 thin slices whole wheat bread (or white), untested, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 of large banana, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp chocolate chips (any type)
- Shredded coconut (use if no coconut syrup on hand)
- Maple syrup/coconut syrup (for serving)
- In an oversized microwave-safe mug, mix egg, milk, cinnamon, and sugars with a small whisk.
- Place a layer of bread cubes in the custard. Sprinkle on some bananas, chocolate chips, and coconut. Continue to layer the French toast like this 3-4 times. Once all bread and additives are in the mug, pack down the French toast with the back of a spoon until all the bread is coated in custard.
- Cook in microwave for 2 minutes to 2 1/2 minutes, or until egg-custard mixture is completely cooked. Serve with syrup.