Trust me, I know what it’s like to live with allergy restrictions. Although I don’t have any allergies, I grew up with my brother being allergic to literally everything. Nuts, tree-nuts, dairy, gluten, soy, legumes, certain shellfish and other random food items. You name it, he was allergic to it (luckily he has outgrown most of these allergies by now). Gluten-free is probably the most common allergen besides nuts, and luckily for all you gluten-free viewers out there, I have a special mug cake recipe just for you! This flourless chocolate cake has a deep chocolate flavor that will satisfy any chocolate craving. An an additional bonus: it is by far the simplest mug cake I have ever made (it’s only three ingredients!).
Dump those brown chips (ew, not what your thinking) and a drizzle of oil in a your favorite mug.
‘Nuke that sucker and whisk it with the essential and adorable mini whisk until it’s glossy and you can see yourself in its reflection.
Just crack an egg on top.
Then whisk vigorously, and I mean vigorously, until you’re 100% sure there is no streaks of eggs left. And then whisk again, and again, and again. Whisk until you physically can’t anymore (just kidding).
Pop it in that magical box we all know and love for 1 minute AND – let it rest for several hours. And no, I’m not kidding. Not at all. I know you want me to be joking, but I’m serious. In order for your cake to taste like cake and not chocolate eggs, is for it to sit on the counter for several hours. I’m not talking half an hour, not an hour, but SEVERAL hours. This is mandatory. (And yes, I’ve learned the hard way. I’ve made this a couple of times before but couldn’t wait and it tasted like eggs.) So just suck it up and let it rest…
Once it has rested, decorate your cake any way you want! Dust with powdered sugar (or a mix of cinnamon and powdered sugar like I did) or
drizzle on some chocolate sauce and sprinkles! Yum!
3-Ingredient Flourless Chocolate Microwave Mug Cake Recipe
- 1/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- Powdered sugar, cinnamon, chocolate sauce, raspberry sauce, whipped cream, sprinkles, etc. (optional)
- Combine chocolate chips and oil in an oversized microwave-safe mug. Microwave for ~40 seconds. Mix with a small whisk until chocolate is completely melted.
- Add egg and whisk vigorously until batter is smooth and the egg is fully incorporated. Because the mixture is so dark, it will be hard to see if egg streaks remain. Lift your whisk a couple of times to make sure you don’t see evidence of unmixed egg still in the batter.
- Cook in the microwave from~1 minute. Cake will look the slightest bit gooey on top, but as long as the cake has risen and is set, it should be ready. Let cake sit for several hours, so the chocolate flavor can fully develop and overcome any eggy taste.
- Customize your cake by adding any toppings or decorations (optional).