Ah, the end of Summer. A bittersweet moment where we say bye-bye to Summer and hello to Fall. If Summer was a person, she would be lively, fun, and always the center of attention. Fall would be that comforting, caring friend always at your side. That being said, I love Summer, but truthfully, Fall is my favorite season. I mean, hello? Pumpkin pie spice everything? Pumpkin everything? That sounds pretty good to me. But still, Summer deserves a special goodbye present for all the joy it has brought. So as a parting gift to Summer, I am doing a three-part segment that includes how to make homemade waffle cones, no-churn Nutella ice cream, and no-churn cookie dough ice cream! And you’re in luck because today you’ll be learning how to make subtly sweet, buttery, and crunchy waffle cones, the perfect vehicle for your homemade ice creams.
So let’s get started! First whip up a simple batter made of eggs, salt, sugar, flour, and butter.
Next, pour some of the batter into a waffle cone maker. A waffle cone maker is pretty much like a regular waffle maker except it creates much flatter waffles reminiscent of a crepe.
After a minute of cooking, pull the waffle out.
Now here comes the slightly difficult and slightly ouchy part. You’re waffle maker will come with a mold that kind of looks like a party hat with a stick attached to it.
I would recommend using a towel to help you roll and mold your waffle cone, otherwise you might end up with burnt fingers!
To make sure ice cream doesn’t leak out of the bottom of your waffle cone you have to pinch and hold the bottom of the cone until it’s hardened and set. Rolling and shaping the waffle cones takes a lot of practice, so don’t be upset if your first few are misshapen and cracked!
Once your homemade waffle cone is cool and crisp, add in any flavor or flavors of ice cream you want. We have a store near us that sells all different flavors of Marianne’s Ice Cream (the best) by the quart from Santa Cruz, so I added in a scoop each of Fresh Banana, Coconut Fudge, and Butter Pecan. Yum!
Homemade Waffle Cone Recipe
Makes ~6-8 cones
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour/whole wheat pastry flour/white whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled slightly
- Preheat your waffle cone maker and adjust the heat to your liking.
- Stir the egg, egg white, and salt in a small bowl with a fork until well blended. Beat in the sugar and blend until sugar is incorporated and the egg has lightened in color slightly, ~1 minute.
- Add the flour and stir slowly until all flour is moistened. Beat another 15 seconds to incorporate the flour and remove all lumps. Add the melted butter and stir until well blended.
- Spoon 2-3 Tbsp of batter in the center or slightly above center of the iron. Close the lid, lock the latch, bake for 1 minute and then check for proper color. Cook an addition 20-40 seconds if necessary.
- Quickly remove the waffle from the waffle cone maker onto a clean cloth towel. Use the cloth to help lift and roll the waffle around the cone form. Hold the cone a few seconds to set its shape, then place in a cone holder, iced tea glass, or on a wire rack to cool.