I love ice cream. In fact, I scream for ice cream. Seriously. Sometimes I get so excited for ice cream I start screaming my head off. And I know you do too. I mean, doesn’t everyone? But to make homemade ice cream, it seems you need one of those huge, expensive ice cream churners. And I could imagine that you wouldn’t want to buy one of those. So, here is a secret to lift my spirits and yours up. You don’t need an ice cream churner to make ice cream. Now is the time should be screaming for ice cream because making ice cream is no longer a tedious process consisting of tempering eggs, creating the perfect custard, churning the mixture, and then freezing it for what feels like decades. This is a much faster, much easier process that yields flavorful and creamy results! And as an added bonus, you don’t need to let your ice cream sit out before consumption! Straight from the freezer, no-churn ice cream is perfectly soft and creamy. So let’s get started on making 3-Ingredient No-Churn Nutella Ice Cream!
Start by making a basic ice cream base. The ice cream base is so easy to make, and only consists of two ingredients: heavy whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk. Use a hand mixer or stand mixer with a whisk attachment (or if you’re a body builder, just use your arms) to whip the heavy whipping cream to stiff peaks. The stiff peak stage is when you can pull the whisk out of the cream and the cream in the bowl and the cream on the whisk stays in a peak (it won’t flop over but rather stands straight up). Another fun way to test that the cream has reached stiff peak stage, hold the bowl over your head! If the cream falls out of the bowl, you should have whipped it more. If it stays, then it’s perfect. However, I would not recommend doing this unless your entirely sure the cream is whipped enough. I wouldn’t want your kitchen to be a whipped cream mess!
Next add in your sweetened condensed milk and whip the mixture until it returns to stiff peak stage.
Ta-da!!! You have just created the perfect ice cream base. I divided this ice cream base to create two different flavors of ice cream: Nutella and Cookie Dough (recipe for 1 pint will be provided in next post). The Nutella ice cream is so easy to make because all you have to do is just add Nutella to the ice cream base. Whisk it until the ice cream becomes an even brown color. Pour the ice cream into a container of your choice and pop it into the freezer! (And wait for 6 hours….)
But waiting is so worth it because once it’s frozen, it becomes the creamiest, smoothest, Nutella packed ice cream you have ever tried. Yum!
No-Churn Ice Cream Base
Makes 1 1/2 pints
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Place sweetened condensed milk in the fridge to keep cold.
- Beat cold heavy cream on medium in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer) until stiff peaks form.
- Turn down the speed a little and pour the condensed milk into the whipped cream.
- Now, turn the speed back up high again and whisk until the mixture is thick and reaches the stiff peak stage.
- Now you have your ice cream base, you can add in your desired flavors and fixings.
- Place in a large resealable container and freeze at least 6 hours or overnight before eating. Keep for up to 2 weeks.
3-Ingredient No-Churn Nutella Ice Cream
Adapted from biggerbolderbaking.com
Makes 1/2 pint
- 1 cup ice cream base
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- Combine all of the ingredients together. Taste for desired flavor. Freeze in an airtight container for 6-8 hours. Keep for up to 2 weeks.