Yes, you read that right. There is a such thing as a donut breakfast sandwich, and I assure you, it is delicious. Scratch that. It’s beyond delicious. Its… its… its… awedelspecyumious! (That’s a mixture of awesome, delicious, spectacular, and yummy!) You would not believe how hard your taste buds will party when you make this! It is the perfect combination of sweet and savory and definitely updates that boring breakfast sandwich made with English muffins. This Donut Breakfast Sandwich is extremely rich and decadent, but remember, everyone needs a little bit of indulgence! So let’s get to it!
To start off, prep your original glazed donut! This is very simple and easy: just split the donut horizontally into even portions and then take the top of the donut and cut out a circle with a small cup. In the end, you should have a bottom half of donut and a ring of donut. Oh, and don’t throw the piece of donut you cut out from the top away; just pop it into your mouth!
Make sure to preheat your pan to medium and add a small bit of oil into it. Once the pan is nice and hot add your ring of donut and donut bottom fluffy side down and glazed side up. Carefully crack your egg into the center of the ring (make sure the yolk doesn’t break!). If you add your donut ring and egg to early into the pan and the pan isn’t hot enough, the egg will just run out of the ring and fill the pan (something you don’t want!), so make sure that pan is hot enough that once the egg hits the pan, the bottom will solidify. For the donut bottom, just toast it in the pan on one side so it gets nice and caramelized. For the egg-donut, cover the pan to trap in the steam, and lower the heat. I prefer my donut sandwich portable, so I cook my egg until the yolk is set and is like the yolk in a hard-boiled egg (plus I like the taste better). However, most people probably would like a runny yolk. In that case, just cook the egg-donut for a shorter amount of time. In either case, sprinkle on some shredded cheese so the cheese can melt onto the egg. The best part of the entire sandwich is how caramelized the donut and the egg become, so don’t be afraid of the heat! Warm up a sausage patty, sprinkle some more cheese on top (cause that never hurts), and put in on the toasted bottom donut.
Take the egg-donut off of the pan once it’s done and put in on top to complete your breakfast sandwich! Yum!
Donut Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 plain glazed donut
- 1 egg
- Shredded cheese
- 1 sausage patty
- Preheat a lightly oiled pan over medium heat.
- Cut the donut in half horizontally. Cut a hole with a cookie cutter or small cup in the top half of the donut to create a ring.
- Add the two donut halves to the pan and crack an egg into the donut ring. Sprinkle some cheese on the top of the egg. Cover and cook the egg in the donut ring until desired doneness. Take out the bottom donut half when it is lightly toasted and caramelized.
- Heat up a frozen sausage patty, melting some cheese on top.
- Assemble the Donut Breakfast Sandwich by placing the toasted bottom donut on the bottom, the cheesy sausage patty above that, and the egg in the donut ring on top.