So a friend of mine recently went gluten-free and noticed that most of my mug cakes and other creations included some form of gluten. And did you know that 1 in 5 Americans actively include gluten-free food in their diet? So for all of you viewers out their gluten-free, this one’s for you! Even if you’re not gluten-free, I would definitely recommend making this rich, decadent, dense, and chocolatey microwave mug tort. It has only has 5 ingredients and takes 1 minute to cook, so what are you waiting for? Whip out that mug and let’s make us a delectable, gluten-free, single-serving dessert!
Basically all you have to do is dump all of the ingredients into a mug and whisk it up! In this shot, you can see the almond flour (your know, the stuff you make macarons with?), baking powder (not baking soda), and granulated sugar.
Here’s the good part! Adding the chocolate! The unsweetened cocoa powder gives this torte a rich, deep chocolate flavor. You can also add cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice (it is October after all).
Whisk in your wet ingredient, milk, and pop the mug in the microwave.
As an optional step, I added melted chocolate on top of my torte and some slivered almonds (the almonds add a lovely crunch to the smooth torte). You do whatever you want and customize your torte any way you feel like! Yum!
Almond-Chocolate Microwave Mug Torte
- 3 Tbsp almond flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch-processed)
- Cinnamon/pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- 2 Tbsp fat-free milk
For decoration (optional):
- Chocolate chips
- Slivered almonds
- Combine all ingredients in an oversized microwave-safe mug. Mix w/ a sm. whisk until batter is smooth.
- Cook in the microwave for ~1 minute. If torte is not done, heat an additional 15 seconds. Let torte cool a few minutes.
- Optional: In the last 10 seconds of cooking, add a sprinkle of chocolate chips and return to the microwave to finish cooking. Take the torte out of the microwave and smooth the chocolate on the surface to create a glaze. Sprinkle with slivered almonds.