What? A microwave mug cake that isn’t cake? A microwave mug cake that is, in fact, cornbread??? How is this possible? Yes, it is true. And it is, like the title states, completely customizable. You can add cheese and jalapeno to make the cornbread gooey and spicy, or you can add bacon and maple syrup to create the perfect sweet-savory balance. And no matter your taste buds, I recommend adding fresh or frozen corn kernels to add a sweet pop of extra corn flavor. So what are you waiting for? Let’s make some cornbread!
Making this microwave cornbread is a breeze. All you have to do is dump all of the ingredients into a mug of your choice and whisk away (with an adorable mini whisk, of course). The batter will be quite thick. Since I added bacon into my cornbread, I added the bacon grease into the batter as well. If you aren’t adding bacon into your cornbread, just use vegetable oil instead.
Add your flavors of choice (I definitely recommend adding some corn kernels in addition to any other add-ins you favor). By making these individual servings of cornbread instead of one huge hunk of bread, you can create tons of different types so everyone is happy with their slice of bread!
Pop that sucker into the microwave for a minute and out comes that delicious cornbread. If you want to add some sweetness, drizzle with maple syrup or honey. Yum!
Completely Customizable Microwave Mug Cornbread
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour/whole-wheat pastry flour/white whole-wheat flour
- 1/16 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk/buttermilk
- 1/2 Tbsp bacon grease/vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp whisked egg (1/4 of 1 extra-large egg)
- 2 Tbsp cornmeal
- Combine all ingredients in an oversized microwave-safe mug. Mix with a small whisk until batter is smooth.
- Cook in microwave for ~1 minute. If cornbread is not done, heat an additional 15 seconds. Let cornbread cool a few minutes. Cornbread is best consumed while still warm or within a few hours of it being cooked.