As I’ve proven when I made Chocolate Fried Chicken, chocolate isn’t just for desserts. And white chocolate, that sweet, creamy, luscious treat, has its place in the savory world as well dark chocolate. And what better pairing could their be than white chocolate and mac ‘n’ cheese? If you think about it, it makes sense. Mac ‘n’ Cheese is rich, decadent, creamy, and very salty. White chocolate is also rich, decadent, and creamy, but very sweet. Together, they make the perfect sweet and savory hybrid. So let’s get cooking!
The most important part of any mac ‘n’ cheese is it’s sauce. And to start a sauce, you need to make a roux. If you get the roux wrong, you end up with a grainy, unappetizing cheese sauce. If you get it right, you end up with a creamy, silky, cheese sauce. Which one do you want? I think the answer is pretty obvious. But before we make the roux, let us first make the white chocolate milk by combining milk, half-and-half, nutmeg, and black pepper in a small saucepan. Once bubbles begin to form, turn off the heat and whisk in the white chocolate. In another small saucepan (this saucepan can be miniature), brown some butter and once browned, fry up some sage.
After both of these steps are finished, you may start creating your roux. A roux is fat and flour whisked together on heat that thickens up any sauce. Whisk constantly, making sure there are no lumps, and cook off the flour taste and texture before adding in liquid. Once the white chocolate milk is added in, add in both the brie and cheddar cheese. The final touch is that wonderfully flavorful sage brown butter. Mix in your cooked macaroni, top with parmesan, and serve! Yum!
White Chocolate Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Adapted from PopSugar Food
- ½ lb large elbow macaroni
White Chocolate Milk:
- 2 c. milk
- 1 c. half-and-half
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 c.-1 c. white chocolate chips
- 4 Tbsp butter
- ¼ c. flour
- ½ lb brie, cubed
- ½ lb white sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 tsp salt
Sage Brown Butter:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp sage leaves, chopped
- ¼ c. parmesan cheese, shaved
- Salt a large pot of boiling water and cook the macaroni until done.
- Into a saucepan, add in milk, half-and-half, nutmeg, and pepper and stir to combine. Cook on med.-low for 7-10 min., or until sm. bubbles begin to form.
- In a sm. saucepan, cook the butter until browned. Once browned, add in the sage and fry until crispy. Turn off the heat and set it aside.
- Add chocolate chips to simmering milk and stir to melt.
- In a large stockpot create a roux by whisking butter and flour together until no lumps remain. Slowly add in the white chocolate milk a little at a time. Add in both cheeses and stir until it melts. Season w/ salt and pour in sage brown butter.
- Add in the macaroni to the cheese sauce and mix to thoroughly coat. Heat through.
- Serve topped w/ parmesan.