We all know and love those individually wrapped, single-serving, ice cream sandwiches. You know, those rectangular vanilla ice cream slabs sandwiched with a thin chocolate cake? The perfect combination of vanilla and chocolate is what really made these warm-weathered treats such a staple. But as we grow older, we want to innovate, we want to improve, we want to supersize everything! And that is exactly what I have done: I have taken the ordinary ice cream sandwich and elevated it to extraordinary! With three different flavors of ice cream and such a giant size, it is sure to impress both kids and adults alike!
To begin, make your cake. Using a box cake mix is a great way to save time, and there are so many great box mix brands out there that your guests won’t know you shortcutted it. In order to create that perfect ice cream sandwich cookie-cake texture, use 4 eggs (1 egg more than usual) and add the amount of water and vegetable oil according to the box directions. Divide the batter into two parchment-lined baking sheets (or just bake one cake and bake the second cake after the first one is done using the same baking sheet). Once cooled, use toothpicks to mark the cake and use a ruler to cut both cakes into 7-x-13 inch rectangles. Make sure to punch 5 holes across and 15 holes down with a straw on one cake and round the corners on both cakes to make it look like a real ice cream sandwich.
Take a cake board large enough to fit the un-holed of the cakes and lay large quantities of plastic wrap over the board. Place the bottom of the cake down on the plastic wrap. Cut open your 3 rectangular ice cream cartons with scissors and place them on top of the cake side by side. (I used Mocha Almond Fudge, Cookie Dough, and Rocky Road). Place the cake with the holes on top, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze.
To serve, unwrap the the monstrous ice cream sandwich and slice! Yum!
Giant Ice Cream Sandwich
Adapted from PopSugar
- 1 package Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 rectangular ice cream boxes
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Make Devil’s Food Cake batter according to the directions on the box but add 1 extra egg. Pour half of the batter onto one baking sheet and spread it out until it covers the baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cake is cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Use a ruler and toothpicks to cut each cake into 7-by-13 inch rectangles. Round the edges using a paring knife. On one cake use a straw to punch holes 5 across and 15 down on the cake.
- Lay out plastic wrap large enough to wrap the entire cake. Place the bottom of the cake down on the plastic wrap. Use food-safe scissors to cut open the rectangular ice cream cartons and lay the ice cream down on the bottom of the cake. Cover with more plastic wrap and smooth down the sides until you form a block. Remove the plastic wrap and top with the second cake. Wrap the entire cake in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.