There is no denying that I have a crush on coconut. Wait. Scratch that. I LOVE coconut. I should probably marry it (except that would be extremely strange). So I did the next best thing. I made a gorgeous Coconut Chocolate Chip Snack Cake with a Coconut Glaze! This cake is extremely moist and bursting with that nutty and creamy coconut flavor (as there is coconut milk and shredded coconut in the batter and flaked coconut on top) and the glaze adds even more coconut flavor! This cake is awesome to make if you have leftover coconut cream from making my Coconut-Lime Piecaken. And to make this deliciously awesome cake even better, it is ridiculously simple and quick to whip up! I think this cake is perfect for brunch, dessert, or snack, so let’s get baking and chowing!
So recently I decided to create an Instagram account for my blog, but I reached an unfortunate problem: I suck at photography. So, in an attempt to make my pictures look nicer (which didn’t really work), I decided to photograph my Coconut Chocolate Chip Snack Cake with Coconut Glaze (that’s a mouth-full), outside. I don’t have any special camera equipment (and even if I did I wouldn’t know how to use it), so I just use an iPhone. But photography isn’t everything, right? Who am I kidding? In a food blog, it is EVERYTHING. So basically I’m screwed. But whatever.
On a brighter note, you should follow my blog on Instagram (Mugs_and_Makeovers) and on Pinterest (Mugs and Makeovers)! Shout out to all of my international views (it really means the world to me! *ba-doom-crash*) and don’t forget to comment, like and subscribe!
Back to this deliciously perfect cake. I have to say, this a must-try! It is so light, fluffy, and moist, packed with coconut flavor and accented with perfectly balanced chocolate chips. The glaze adds even more moisture and even more coconut flavor. It is perfect for a gathering (as it is quite large) and is sure to impress all guests (even though it is a cinch to whip up). Yum!
Coconut Chocolate Chip Snack Cake w/ Coconut Glaze
- 1 3/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour/white whole-wheat flour/all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. canned unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 c. coconut cream (or extra 1/2 c. coconut milk)
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 c. unsweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 c. powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp canned unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Coconut Chocolate Chip Snack Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 2-inch-high sides; dust pan with flour, shaking out excess. Sift 1 3/4 cups flour, baking powder, and sea salt into medium bowl. Stir in unsweetened shredded coconut and set aside. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with coconut milk in 2 additions, beating just until blended after each addition. Fold in half of chocolate chips. Spread batter evenly in prepared cake pan. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over batter, then sprinkle with unsweetened flaked coconut.
- Bake cake until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, tenting with sheet of foil if coconut atop cake is browning too quickly, 60 to 70 minutes. Transfer cake to rack and cool in pan 45 minutes.
- Coconut Glaze: Whisk powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk, and vanilla in small bowl to blend well, adding more coconut milk by 1/2 teaspoonfuls until mixture is thin enough to drizzle over cake.
- Carefully run small knife around sides of cake to loosen. Invert cake onto platter, then carefully invert again onto another platter, coconut side up. Using small spoon, drizzle coconut glaze decoratively over cake. Cool cake completely on platter.