I love fried chicken tenders. Last time I made chicken tenders, I went big and bold with my Chocolate Fried Chicken. This time, the fried chicken is normal, but the sauce it’s served with is out of this world fantastical! It is spicy and sweet, a jazzed up mango chutney with such an interesting flavor profile. The orange juice adds extra acidity to the store bought mango chutney, the soy sauce adds salt, the jerk seasoning adds spice and depth of flavor, the gochujang adds a spicy, funky flavor, and the lime adds acidity and brightness. This sauce is so amazing that you’ll be glad it makes more than you can dip your chicken tenders in. I mean, it truly is perfect for any application.
This recipe, like the majority of my recipes, is extremely simple and doesn’t need much explanation. The results are truly to-die-for and there really should be no reason why you shouldn’t make it (except if your vegetarian, then just make this sauce and use it for literally everything). Yum!
Chicken Tenders with Mango Curry Sauce
Adapted from Half Baked Harvest
- 1 lb boneless chicken tenderloins or breasts, cut into nugget-sized pieces or strips
- 3/4 c. coconut milk w/ 1 tsp lemon/apple-cider vinegar or 3/4 c. buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour/whole wheat flour/white whole-wheat flour/whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 quarts vegetable oil, for frying
Mango Curry Sauce:
- 1 c. mango chutney
- 1 Tbsp orange juice
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp jerk seasoning*
- 2 tsp gochujang (Korean sweet & spicy hot pepper paste)
- 1/2 c. water
- Juice + zest of 1 lime
- Add the chicken to a large bowl and pour the buttermilk overtop. Mix well and set aside. In a shallow pie dish or large bowl add the Panko, whole wheat flour, & a pinch of salt & pepper. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a large pot to 375°F.
- Remove each piece of chicken from the buttermilk, and dredge through the crumbs, pressing gently to adhere.
- In small batches, fry chicken 6-8 min., or until golden brown. Remove chicken, and drain on paper towels.
- Serve with mango curry sauce for dipping.
Mango Curry Sauce
In a sm.-med. saucepan, combine the mango chutney, orange juice, soy sauce, jerk seasoning, curry paste, pinch of pepper, and water. Bring the sauce to a boil and then reduce the heat. Simmer 10 min. or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice + zest.
*Make your own jerk seasoning by adding 1-1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp allspice, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp dried crushed red peppper, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, & 1/8 tsp cinnamon to a Ziplock bag, & shake to combine. This will make slightly more than this recipe requires.