What could be better than a donut? What could be better than cereal milk? Well, the marriage of the two of course! That’s right, I made some awesome Cereal Milk Donuts. And yes, donuts are a pain to make, so that’s why I prefer to make baked donuts. What are baked donuts? you may ask. The taste is very similar to cake or muffins, but it is in the shape of a cute donut! And you may also wonder, What is that ‘cereal milk’? Well, cereal milk is no other than that delicious leftover milk that is infused with all of that sugary cereal flavor that’s left over after you eat your morning bowl of cereal! So what could be better than simple to make, delicious to eat, and surprisingly different!
To start off, make the cereal milk. Now I used Froot Loops for this, but you could use any of your favorite cereal. I think Capt’n Crunch, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Krispies, or Honeycomb would all work fabulously! So really, this recipe is completely customizable because whatever cereal you choose completely changes the flavor of the donut!
All you have to do to make cereal milk is to soak the cereal of your choice in whatever milk you usually enjoy that cereal in. For most people, that would be cow’s milk, but since I grew up on rice milk, I like using rice milk. Almond milk, soy milk, or low-fat coconut milk would also work (but don’t use full-fat coconut milk because the coconut flavor becomes too strong and you can’t taste the cereal flavor).
Unfortunately, this recipe does require you have a donut pan. These aren’t that hard to find and are well worth it to buy. These donuts are much easier to make (deep-frying can be such a hassle), and you can pretty much change any muffin or cake recipe into a donut recipe by putting the batter into the donut pan! Yum!
Cereal Milk Baked Donuts
Makes 12 donuts
- 1-1/2 c. milk of choice
- 1 c. cereal of choice
- 2 c. all-purpose flour/white whole-wheat flour/whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 4-1/2 Tbsp cereal milk
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Heaping handful of cereal of choice, crushed
- Combine milk and cereal in a sm. bowl. Allow to sit for 30 min. Strain out milk, measuring 3/4 c. for the donuts & reserving the rest for the glaze. (Discard cereal.)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray donut pan w/ nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder & salt. In a sm. bowl whisk together eggs and vanilla. Add the reserved cereal milk, butter, and egg/vanilla to the flour mixture. Beat until just combined. Spoon donut batter into donut pan until ~3/4 of the way full.
- Bake 7-9 min. or until the top of the donuts spring back when touched. Let cool in pan 4-5 min. before removing.
- In a sm. bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, 4-1/2 Tbsp cereal milk, and vanilla extract until sugar is completely dissolved. Use immediately to glaze donuts. Sprinkle top with crushed cereal.