Happy 4th of July everyone! (Although it’s not quite July 4th yet… But in order to ensure you have time to make this dip, I can’t just post this on July 4th because then it would be too late to bring this awesome 7-layer dip to the party…) So yes. I know. This dip is really predictable. You’re probably thinking, Wow, so patriotic. She must be very ‘Merican. Well, no. I’m not very ‘Merican, but I do think that it’s great to be a little festive once and awhile. Personally, I think this dip is very cute, and it’s so easy to make! It’s sure to impress, and who doesn’t love a good 7-layer dip?
This 7-layer dip is a bit different in the sense that it has hummus. Now I love hummus and I think it has every right to be part of a 7-layer dip even though traditionally it doesn’t. The great thing about making this dip is how quick and easy it is to make. All you have to do is take the ingredients out of the jar or whatever container it is in and layer it up. Sure you could go through the hassle of making homemade hummus, salsa, pico de gallo, and guacamole, but who has time for that? I mea, this is just one thing in a massive spread of food items you are probably going t have to handle. So I say, just relax and make it it easy on yourself by using premade items. Yum!
Patriotic 7-Layer Dip
Adapted from Mariah’s Pleasing Plates
- 1 can (16 oz) fat free refried beans
- 1 c. hummus
- 1 jar (12 oz) chunky red salsa
- 1-1/2 c. pico de gallo, strain to remove excess liquid
- 1-1/2 c. guacamole
- 1 c. Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Black beans, drained & rinsed
- Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- In an 8×8 pan, spread refried beans in even layer. Spread hummus evenly on top of beans. Top evenly w/ remaining layers starting w/ chunky salsa & ending w/ guacamole.
- Place handful of black beans in upper left corner of dip on top of guacamole. Shape them into a square. Place cherry tomato halves in a few straight lines alternating w/ lines of cheese in btwn.
- Serve w/ tortilla chips.